I once asked a narcissist how he was able to keep control of and abuse his victim for so long. He looked me in the eyes and gave me the most disturbing smile as he responded, "Hope dies last."

Friday, February 19, 2016

I'm Not NovaBlade

Up until recently my artwork was up on Novablade Studios website.  In fact you'll see that a piece of my art is still on the lovely splash page.  I didn't really leave it there by choice.  I just don't have the ability to remove it as I did all the other work of mine.

Things did not go very civil between my ex and I and he has literally done everything he can to vindictively tear me down including take away my art from me.  I was stupid.  I just wanted away from him.  I had no money, no lawyer, no support from anyone and he legally walked all over me with his attorney.  I had no idea what I was really giving up at the time.  If I knew now what I knew then I would have stood up for myself more.

In the divorce contract NovaBlade was his.  To make a long story short... what I THOUGHT it said was that all my art was mine and his was his and any joint projects we would need each other's permission to do anything with.  That's what I thought, at least.

We had a webcomic that featured two characters--one he created and I specifically created far BEFORE the webcomic was ever put into thought.  I decided I wanted to do a solo project with her and I called my ex to let him know what I wanted to do, trying to show some courtesy.  But I was only greeted with cold hostility telling me I wasn't allowed to use the character or any LIKENESS of the character without permission and we would have to discuss this further.  Of course, being the passionate artist I was about my work I blew my top.  He continued to gaslight me as if I was unreasonable and cut off communication despite the fact that we both have a child together.

I simply gave up on having to kiss his ass to use any of my work and simply let 20+ years of my hard work, artistic creativity, blood, sweat, tears, and dreams go.  This is all about control.  It always has been.  I refuse to give him any power over me.  Not like this.  I deserve better for all the energy I put into NovaBlade.  I deserve better as an artist.  But I swallowed the jar of broken glass, cried a lot, and let go.  I feel like I lost children.  Oh, wait... I did.  Almost.  Thankfully I still maintain contact with my son and he can never take that away from me.

I can do better.  I know I can.  But for years this has creatively damaged me and I still have trouble getting back my creativity.  It has crippled me.  Every time I sit in front of a paper with pencil I draw a blank, my anxiety and depression creep up, I want to cry.

For the past 3-4 years my artwork was up on the NovaBlade site.  About 90% of the work on there was mine.  It upset me seeing it up there as if it was a carrot dangling on a stick to mock me.  "Haha!  Here's your work.  But now it's MY work.  I'm taking credit for it too!  You can't do anything about it."  I texted my ex several weeks ago to remove all of my art off the site but he didn't even have the decency to send a dickish response.  So, without giving a shit I figured out my old password to the site and removed what I could.  I switched it off the lovely template I put time and care into designing and changed it to the default.  I didn't deface it.  I kept his small amount of solo work up on the site.

It looks so empty and unloved.  That still breaks my heart... but I am done with NovaBlade.  Do not go there to support me.  Do not buy any of my artwork from him.





No comments:

Post a Comment